Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mom's Pretzel Soup




Mom’s Pretzel Soup
Dorcas Annette Walker

Another New Year has begun laid out fresh and unmarred before us; a time to ponder the past and set goals for the future. Considering the medical catastrophes that hit our family and what we are still recovering from the previous year, I was ready to turn the page on a new beginning. Last year after only a couple of months had passed our lives did a complete u-turn when my husband, Dana, had open heart surgery. Then to finish out the old year I fell dislocating my elbow, which the orthopedic surgeon says may take up to a year or longer to get back to normal. Despite major setbacks there have been many blessings along the way. I’m thrilled that I can use my wrist once again making me independent, our circle of friends has enlarged, we have a wonderful sup-portative home church and caring pastor, and our family unit has grown even closer. There is so much to be thankful for.

The one way I keep from totally losing it when life throws a curve is by staying organized. This is time of the year I pull out all my lists and goals from last year and then revise, delete, or add for the coming New Year. There is something mentally challenging and exhilarating to me about taking inventory and planning ahead while shuffling through calendars and pages of notes- something that might drive some folk batty. I love finding ideas or projects that I stashed away during the past year to consider. One of my favorite things is starting a new cooking notebook for my column for the year while browsing through old and new recipes.

Since the New Year started off cold and snowy I decided to feature a soup dish. Not any soup mind you, but a favorite of my mother’s that she would make whenever we were sick- perfect for me right now as my elbow recuperates. My mother never used a recipe for her pretzel soup that is very simple and easy to make so I’ve had to measure out the ingredients as I made it up. My Mom’s Pretzel Soup has a slightly nutty crunchy taste and is a great digestive aid- a perfect help for colds and flu this winter. You can also substitute toast instead of pretzels if you prefer. Preparation time for my Mom’s Pretzel Soup is around ten minutes and this recipe serves one.

Mom’s Pretzel Soup

½ c pretzels broken into bite-size pieces
1 c milk
1 tsp butter
salt & pepper

Place the pretzel pieces in a bowl, add milk, and butter. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste. Microwave for a minute or so until the butter is melted. Serve hot!

Weekly tip: A rule of thumb when serving soups: dish up thick soups into heavy china, pottery bowls, mugs, or sty foam while serving thin light soups in elegant crystal or fine china!

Dorcas Annette Walker is a published author, columnist, speaker, freelance magazine writer, and photographer from Jamestown, Tennessee. Contact her at: dorcasannettewalker@gmail.com For more recipes check out her Creative Tennessee Mountain Cookin blog at: www.dorcasannettewalker.webs.com

No comments: