Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Pistachio Cake




Pistachio Cake
Dorcas Annette Walker

Springtime is full of color as the earth warms up. It is my favorite time of the year and this week Spring is official on the calendar. One reason I love springtime is due to the fact that I am addicted to color. If you don’t believe me just check out my website at: www.dorcasannettewalker or ask any of my family. I enjoy dressing in bright colors and each room of my house is a different color blending together like my flower beds outside. I especially revel in the soft green spring colors that appear outside my windows forming buds on the trees while the carpet of grass comes back to life again turning the world into a mass of green hues. There is something soothing to me about the color green.

I was fascinated the first time I saw my friend, Tonda Miller, make a Pistachio Cake. I always gravitated toward cooks and kitchens whenever I was out on the road traveling with my husband in evangelism. Camp meeting kitchens always welcomed another hand and you never knew what new recipe or tip you might discover. Tonda and I have a long history of friendship as both our husband are ministers and we’ve been in numerous revivals and camp meetings together. Tonda is also a camp cook. I loved whenever we were together as we both enjoy experimenting with ideas, sharing recipes, and trying new dishes out.

The first thing that caught my eye about the Pistachio Cake was its soft green color layered with green icing to match. Not only was the cake good to look at, but it tasted scrumptious, and was moist. The secret to the green coloring was using pistachio pudding. I couldn’t wait to get home to try the recipe out myself. Every time I make a Pistachio Cake it always brings lots of comments and second helpings. What I love about this cake is that it is simple to make and can be made ahead of time. This recipe for Pistachio Cake takes only around ten to fifteen minutes to prepare and serves sixteen.

Pistachio Cake

1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg instant pistachio pudding
3 eggs
1 c cooking oil
1 c 7-up or Sprite
½ c pecans chopped
Combine all the ingredients together in bowl and beat with a mixer for two minutes. Pour batter into a greased bunt pan and bake at 350ยบ for forty-five minutes. Cover and cool.

Icing:

1 pkg instant pistachio pudding
1½ c milk
8 oz container cool whip
Mix ingredients together and beat for five minutes. Cut the Pistachio Cake into three layers and ice. Refrigerate until ready to serve. May garnish with green sprinkles!

Dorcas Annette Walker is a freelance writer, author, columnist, and photographer from Jamestown, TN. If you have any cooking tips or favorite recipes you are welcome to contact me by mail at: Dorcas Walker, 929 Wildwood Lane, Jamestown, TN 38556 or email me at: dorcaswalker@yahoo.com. For more information about the Walker family and Dorcas’ books check out her website at: www.dorcasannettewalker.com or htpp://dorcasannettewalker.blogspot.com for other Creative Mountain Cookin recipes.

No comments: