Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wheat Rolls




Wheat Rolls
Dorcas Annette Walker
 
Company is always a good excuse to get my house organized and back in shape.  I also like to check and see what tasks have been put off.  For over a year I wanted to get my daughter’s old bedroom painted and sorted out as it had become a catch all for items that overflowed my sewing room.  One of the greatest challenges as a housekeeper is keeping things where they belong.  When my children were small I’d go through the house each night making sure that everything was put in place.  There were always projects stuffed in closets that I planned to do someday.  I used to think that once my kids were grown I could catch up on everything and would have no trouble keeping a spotless perfectly organized house.  I still haven’t obtained that goal yet, but I did manage to turn out the bedroom and get it painted- barely getting it back in shape before my guest arrived.

The only problem with focusing on one area inside is that, even though we’ve had frost and cooler weather up here on the mountain, everything outside (namely weeds) has grown like “Jack and the Beanstalk” overnight.  I cross one thing off my list only to discover several more demanding my immediate attention.  Since I can’t go 24-7 like I used to in younger days, I’ve learned to do what I can and leave the rest for tomorrow reminding myself what my grandmother told me years ago, “that there will always be work even after we are dead and gone”.   So each day I make a goal of stopping (taking a break- preferably on my front porch in the rocking chair with a cup of tea in hand), looking around savoring the beauty and wonder of God’s creation right under my nose, and listening to my birds sing (the hummingbirds came back this week).

Since I spent time cooking in my kitchen while I had company I did up a batch of Wheat Rolls one day.  Homemade rolls are always a great addition to any meal and my yeasty Wheat Rolls are healthy as well.  You can substitute honey instead of sugar, add orange juice for some of the water, or use half white and half wheat flour.  This dough can be stored in the refrigerator overnight or for up to one week. Preparation time for my Wheat Rolls is around thirty minutes (not counting rising time) and this recipe yields thirty-two rolls.

Wheat Rolls

1 pkg active dry yeast
1 c warm water
1 tsp sugar
5 c wheat flour
½ c sugar
1½ tsp salt
2 eggs beaten
½ c shortening melted

Combine yeast, water, and tsp of sugar in cup, stir well, and let sit to activate.  In a large bowl place flour, sugar, and salt.  Add eggs, shortening, and yeast.  Stir then knead the dough with your hands until a large ball forms- dust hands with flour if needed.  Spread shortening on top, cover, and let rise in the bowl until doubled in bulk one to two hours.  Punch dough down and shape into rolls placing them in a greased pan. Apply shortening to the top of the rolls and let rise again. Bake at 350º for fifteen to twenty minutes until lightly browned!

Weekly tip:  Adding a little bit of ground ginger to the bread/roll dough improves the rising of yeast.  Use ¼ teaspoon for a two loaf recipe- around six to seven cups of flour!

 Dorcas Annette Walker is a published author, columnist, speaker, freelance magazine writer, and photographer from Jamestown, Tennessee. Contact her at:  dorcasannettewalker@gmail.com  For more recipes check out her Creative Tennessee Mountain Cookin blog at:  www.dorcasannettewalker.webs.com


No comments: