Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dwight's Grilled Pork Chops




Dwight’s Grilled Pork Chops
Dorcas Annette Walker

My son, Dwight, came to my rescue again this week when my husband was back in the hospital with lung problems. It has been a slow recovery process since my husband had his open heart 4 by-pass surgery over three months ago. Yesterday when Dana tried to do some cardio rehab he nearly went into cardiac arrest. So I’ve not had much time to spend in the kitchen lately. With the summer heat wave and high humidity that has blanketed the mountain a hot stove or oven is the last place I’d want to be near for any length of time anyway.

I have never been a real meat eater like the fellows in my household; especially pork. Secretly I was thrilled that pork is mainly ruled out on a cardiac diet. But one day- one of those days when your mind comes up absolutely blank- despite gazing at all the food in the freezer and pantry and browsing through recipes for an idea for something quick to make up for supper as I was running out of time, Dwight came home. When I told him my about my dilemma over what to make for supper, in true male fashion, Dwight shrugged he shoulders like it wasn’t that big of a deal and offered to grill something. Since Dwight had mastered grilling hamburgers and hot dogs to his satisfaction he decided to try pork chops while I made a vegetable and potatoes. To my surprise Dwight had the meat done before I was finished. I chose the smallest pork chop and took a tiny bite. It actually tasted good. I took another bite thinking that my hunger had overridden or paralyzed my taste buds. The next bite was even better. Now folks if I think a pork chop- considering that I don’t even like pork chops- tastes delicious you know that it has to be something exceptional. When I asked Dwight what he had done to those pork chops to make them taste so good, I was delighted to find out that he had used a simple method. The next time Dwight made up some of his pork chops, I also had him do potatoes on the gas grill as well. Why should I slave in the kitchen if my son will cook? So this week when Dwight came to my rescue and grilled up some pork chops I followed him around with my camera (to catch my son in action) along with a pen and paper to write it all down in order to pass his recipe along to you. The next hot and humid day try some of Dwight’s Grilled Pork Chops that I promise are finger-lickin good.

Dwight’s Grilled Pork Chops

4 pork chops
garlic salt
regular salt & pepper
spray cooking oil

Spray the racks with oil and turn on the gas grill. When the racks are hot lay a pork chop on the top rack, sprinkle on the salts, and pepper. Then spray the meat with cooking oil to hold in the meat juices, turn over, and do the other side the same way. Turn the heat to low and close the lid for five minutes. Turn over the pork chops and brown the other side the same way. Preparation time is around fifteen minutes and this recipe serves four. Serve browned pork chops immediately. You can garnish with apple sauce or cooked apples!

Weekly tip: To round out a grilled meal of meat, vegetables, and potatoes, try something different and grill fresh fruit for dessert as well. Grilled fruit actually tastes sweeter!

Dorcas Annette Walker is a published author, columnist, speaker, freelance magazine writer, and photographer from Jamestown, Tennessee. Contact her at: dorcasannettewalker@gmail.com For more recipes check out her Creative Tennessee Mountain Cookin blog at: www.dorcasannettewalker.webs.com

No comments: